To put the age of the house in perspective, only the fort, Castillo de San Marcos – built of the same tabby and coquina, and around the same time period – is older. The Father Miguel O’Reilly House Museum is located south of the Plaza, in the oldest continuously settled section of the city of St. Augustine, Florida.
The museum, which opened on June 25, 2003, has three main themes: the story of the house, which was constructed circa 1691; the Catholic tradition in St. Augustine, which began on September 8, 1565 and has continued unbroken to this day, earning the parish of the Cathedral-Basilica of Saint Augustine the title, “the first parish;” and the Sisters of St. Joseph who have been the guardians of the O’Reilly House and educators in St. Augustine since their arrival in 1866.
The museum is open free of charge, Wednesdays through Saturdays from 10 AM to 3 PM. The Museum is closed on days of inclement weather; please call 904-826-0750 to verify.